Planting finally completed!
I started planting the tomatoes and peppers Memorial Day weekend and I just finished the Hugle Mound today, June 19th. Since it was my first garden in this space it was hopefully more work than next year.
I am really glad I covered up most of the garden area with cardboard. I could really tell the difference between the areas covered since last time this year and those that were not. The soil was much looser in the areas that had been covered and the uncovered areas were thicker with roots. I have expanded the outer row with extra weed block so next year that row will be easier to plant.
Here are some images of the mound:
I also planted a row of sun flowers along our front fence line:
I also have a few containers on our deck rail, two with strawberries and two with mystery plants. I used sharpie to label my winter sown plants which is a rookie mistake. The sun bleaches out sharpie so I had no idea what some of my seedlings were. I think I got some butterfly weed, or some other herb.
In all about 1/4 of the winter sown seeds made the final cut into the garden. The salad containers didn’t work out as well as the milk jugs as the seeds dried out or were drowned due to poor drainage. I think the milk jugs are better at being tiny greenhouses in my gardening zone.